There are a few key components to the perfect cheese platter– at least one scrumptious cheese (obviously), a hint of sweetness from your favorite fruit (dried or fresh) and a lovely bread or cracker to combine all your selections.
That’s the idea behind this Mango Cheddar Tart — it has all the components of the perfect bite off the cheese platter. I layered a sharp English cheddar and sweet, ripe mangos on top of crispy puff pastry before topping it all off with basil from our garden. It is a bit sweet and a bit savory and it’s definitely not your typical dessert tart, but it’s oh so good.
Make sure you choose a quality cheddar and make sure your slices are cut very thin. When you’re using a flavorful cheese like cheddar, it can be overwhelming. During my tart experimentation, even Peter admitted that there is such a thing as too much cheese.
The puff pastry I found here in Hong Kong wasn’t pre-rolled. If that’s the case for you as well, then start at the beginning with me and sprinkle flour all over a clean even surface (this is also the step that caused Peter to ban me from making homemade tortillas).
Then grab your rolling pin (or uhh bottle of plum wine…) and roll out your puff pastry until it is nice and thin.
Lay your pastry on top of a baking sheet or if you have a baby sized oven like us– a piece of foil and get ready to layer on your toppings.
On goes a thin layer of cheddar and a juicy layer of sliced mangos before brushing on a little egg wash to the border of your pastry.
Pop it in the oven for 15-20 minutes until the pastry is golden brown and the bottom crust is crisp. Sprinkle on some chopped basil and serve nice and warm with a big glass of wine.
- puff pastry
- thinly sliced cheddar cheese
- 4 small mangoes, cut into strips
- 1 beaten egg
- basil, chopped, for garnish
- Preheat oven to 350 F / 175 C
- Roll out puff pastry dough into a rectangle on a lightly floured surface until evenly thin
- Lay pastry dough on an ungreased baking sheet or foil
- Add one layer of slices of cheddar cheese evenly across puff pastry, leaving about a 1-1.5 inch border of pastry
- Top cheddar cheese with mango strips
- Brush uncovered edges of puff pastry with beaten egg wash
- Bake in oven for 15-20 minutes until edges of puff pastry are golden brown
- Garnish with basil
- Serve warm