One of my guilty pleasures is my daily e-mail from BookBub and one of my favorite things about it is that I can snag $1.99 or 99 cent cookbook e-books. Throughout my pregnancy I’ve been craving Middle Eastern flavors so when I saw Sirocco: Fabulous Flavors from the Middle East on sale – I had to take a look.
The cookbook is beautiful and the recipes are so inspiring. I quickly bought a few different spice mixes and got started with some recipe crafting of my own.
Today’s recipe for Za’atar Smashed Potatoes is a new favorite in our house. Peter loves potatoes and we both loved how flavorful and crispy this dish was.
Warm, buttery potatoes with crispy skins, covered in a generous shower of salt and za’atar. If you haven’t tried, za’atar yet, you’ll love it’s tangy, herbal flavor. It’s also great mixed with olive oil for a nice bread dip or on fish or vegetables. Take a look for it in a Middle Eastern grocery store or in the Middle Eastern section of your local grocery store. Once you have it on hand, you’ll think of dozens of ways to use this great spice mix.
For this recipe, you’ll want to use small potatoes – I wasn’t able to find baby potatoes but if you can, all the better. Otherwise, use smaller potatoes and cut them in half after boiling. Since we’re leaving the potatoes skins in tact, make sure you scrub and wash your potatoes well before dropping them into a hot pot of boiling water. Once they’re soft all the way through, spread them on a greased baking sheet, and smash away. You’ll want the potatoes nice and flat. Don’t worry if they break apart a bit.
Give them a quick drizzle of olive oil, salt, pepper and then top with heaping spoonfuls of melted butter before baking them in the oven until they’re nice and crisp. Once they’re ready, it’s time for a za’atar shower.
Add these Za’atar Smashed Potatoes to your next dinner and trust me- once you’ve perfected the “smashed potato” technique, you’ll want to make them again and again!
- 2 lbs of baby potatoes or small Yukon gold potatoes, washed and scrubbed
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 3 tbsp melted butter
- 1 tbsp za'atar
- Preheat oven to 425 F/ 210 C
- Bring a large pot of water to boil
- Add potatoes to water and boil until soft and cooked through (20-40 min depending on potato size)
- Drain potatoes
- If using Yukon gold potatoes or other non-baby potatoes, cut potatoes in half
- Spread potatoes on a greased baking sheet
- Gently smash potatoes using a potato masher or fork until just lightly flattened
- Drizzle with olive oil
- Spoon butter over potatoes
- Salt and pepper generously
- Bake for 40-45 min, flipping potatoes halfway through
- Remove from oven and evenly sprinkle with za'atar
- Serve Warm