Soba noodles (also known as buckwheat noodles) are a real treasure in the world of noodles and pasta. Aside from being delicious (I am more than happy to eat buckwheat noodles plain on occasion) the buckwheat provides lots of health benefits that you normally miss out on from normal noodles.
Buckwheat noodles are significantly lower in calories, fat and carbohydrates than your normal spaghetti noodle and are packed with more protein, fiber, manganese thiamine and other vitamins and minerals. Basically you need these noodles in your life.
I have a difficult time (AKA do not bother) trying to cut out carbs from my diet. I am Asian and now I live in Asia– I love RICE! And I crave noodles regularly! Luckily soba noodles are a great way to try to help myself get in more nutrients. This easy Shrimp and Vegetable Soba recipe allows you to pack in even more delicious and healthy ingredients in to one meal.
You can use nearly any vegetable you like to sautee– try bok choy, morning glory, or baby corn. The combination of broccoli and carrot that I used as a filling favorite of mine. When cooked with just garlic it was so yummy I snuck in a few bites of it while I was waiting for my soba noodles to cool.
When working with soba noodles, it’s important to remove the noodles from the heat when they are done cooking, drain, and then either rinse or submerge the noodles in a cold water bath. This will keep your noodles from sticking together into one giant noodle blob.
Although I really believe the veggies, shrimp, and noodles are naturally delicious on their own, the simple tahini sauce I included coats it all with just a hint of flavor and spice. I love how light and flavorful this dish is and I know you will too.
- 8 oz (~225 g) soba noodles
- 1 tbsp oil
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 small head of broccoli, chopped into florets
- 1 medium sized carrot, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1/2 lb shrimp (peeled and deveined)
- 2 tbsp tahini
- 2 tsp chili oil (substitute sesame oil to make less spicy)
- 1.5-2 tsp sesame oil
- 1 tsp soy sauce
- 1-2 tsp water
- salt and pepper to taste
- In a large pot, boil water over medium to high heat
- Add soba noodles and cook for 3-4 minutes (depending on instructions on your noodle package
- Drain and rinse soba noodles in cold water
- Set aside
- In a large pan, heat oil over medium heat
- Add garlic and stir for 1-2 minutes
- Toss in broccoli and carrot
- Cover and allow to cook, stirring occasionally
- When vegetables are nearly cooked, stir in shrimp and cover pan
- Continue cooking for 2-3 minutes until shrimp is cooked through
- In a medium sized bowl, mix tahini, chili oil, sesame oil, soy sauce and water
- Adjust chili oil to your tastes
- In a large bowl coat noodles in sauce mixture
- When shrimp is cooked through top noodle servings with broccoli, shrimp and carrots
- Serve with additional chili oil and soy sauce, salt and pepper
Are you on Pinterest? Save this recipe for later using the image below