Now what I am about to show you may not be the most beautiful looking dish in the world, but trust me when I say it is pretty damn delicious. Omurice is a Japanese omelette that is stuffed full with delicious fried rice. While we did not have this particular dish on our recent holiday in Japan, we first discovered omurice at a Japanese restaurant in our ‘hood here in Hong Kong.
They serve it just the way you and I are going to– smothered in hot, savory Japanese curry. So while you can certainly serve up your next batch of Japanese curry with plain rice, you can also up the ante and ladle spoonfuls of your curry over this warm comforting omelette.
You have no shortage of options when it comes to making the fried rice for your omurice. Like with all fried rice, old rice is fine to use so put those leftovers to work. You can add diced carrots and onions, peas, corn or even bite sized chicken chunks before stirring it all together with a bit of soy sauce. Then finally set your fried rice apart by adding in some tomato paste or ketchup.
Yes, ketchup. Don’t judge. Just stir it in. Eat it. (and secretly love it)
I will certainly admit that my taste buds have adapted and changed quite a bit over the past year since I moved to Hong Kong. So while I would never have had a craving for an omelette + rice + curry before, now that I have experienced this bold blend of flavors, I can’t resist it!
Instead of curry you can opt for an extra little dollop of ketchup as a topping. The omurice plain (without curry on top) is still scrumptious, budget friendly, very filling and makes for the perfect dish for breakfast, lunch, or dinner.
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 small carrot, diced
- 1/2 pound chicken, chopped into bite sized pieces (optional)
- 2 cups cooked rice
- 2 tbsp ketchup
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 2 tsp oil
- 4 large eggs
- 2 tbsp milk
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 cup Japanese curry, optional
- In a large pan, heat oil over medium heat
- Add onion and garlic and stir until lightly browned
- Toss in carrots and chicken cooking until carrots are tender and chicken is cooked through
- Add in rice, ketchup and soy sauce
- Mix well and remove from heat
- Grease another large pan well with 1 tsp oil
- Heat oil over medium-high heat
- In a large bowl, mix 2 eggs and 1 tbsp milk until well combined
- Stir in salt and pepper to taste
- Pour egg mixture evenly over oiled pan
- Allow to cook for 2-3 minutes until the bottom of the egg mixture is cooked and solid while the top portion is still somewhat soft
- Spoon 1 cup rice into the pan over half of the egg omelette
- Fold the remaining half of the omelette over the rice, covering it
- Slide onto a plate and ladle Japanese curry over omelette
- Repeat to make additional omelettes