Recently I’ve been craving lighter and more nutrient loaded foods. This is often the case for me after an indulgent vacation (or weekend) and our adventures in Vietnam made for no exception. Although we ate well in Vietnam (very very well) the food was so delicious that it meant we ate a ton of food all day and of course we had a few cocktails and glasses of champagne to celebrate our exciting news.
To recover a bit from our weeklong adventure, I needed something light, healthy, but still filling and satisfying. This healthy chicken and vegetables dish is packed with flavor, but light on unnecessary calories. And the recipe makes enough for dinner for two with leftovers for lunch. There’s a lot of chopping and prepping involved for all the vegetables, but I often find this to be a relaxing process after a long day at work.
On the other hand, if you are pressed for time or don’t find chopping vegetables to be very relaxing at all, this also means you can prep most of the ingredients beforehand and when it’s time to cook, toss in all the pre-chopped veggies for a quick and easy cooking session. Originally this dish was planned as a stir fry but I found that it was much easier to lightly steam the vegetables by covering the hot pan for a few minutes rather than stir frying over high heat. Depending on how soft or crisp you prefer your vegetables you can cook them for longer or shorter (we tend to lean towards softer veggies at our house).
You know that I’m not often proposing veggie-heavy meals so trust me when I say this one is a winner. I ate my serving plain, with just the chicken and vegetables, but you can also have this dish over rice as Peter did.
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1 small onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 small spicy chili peppers - finely chopped
- 1 lb chicken breast, cut into bite sized chunks
- 1 small head of broccoli, chopped
- 1 carrot, cut thinly
- 1 small handful of baby corn, chopped
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 2 tbsp vinegar
- 1.5 tsp worcestershire sauce
- 1.5 tsp cornstarch
- 1 small handful of snap peas- ends trimmed
- 1 red bell pepper, cut into thin strips
- 1 yellow bell pepper, cut into thin strips
- green onion, optional, to garnish
- In a large pan or wok, heat oil over medium-high heat
- Add onion and garlic, cooking until onions are soft
- Toss in peppers and chicken and stir until chicken is about halfway cooked through
- Add in broccoli, carrots and baby corn
- Mix well and cover pan with lid for approximately 5 minutes or until broccoli is bright green
- In a small bowl mix soy sauce, vinegar, worcestershire sauce and cornstarch
- Add in remaining vegetables to large pan
- Stir in sauce mixture and mix well
- Cover pan with lid for approximately 5-10 minutes (if you prefer more crisp vegetables, cover for ~5 minutes, for softer vegetables 10+ minutes depending on your tastes)