There’s no hiding my affinity for pizza. In fact, when I was on the Balance on a Shoestring challenge last week that was one of my splurges — a slice of pepperoni pizza for lunch.
Just up the road from my office there is a pizza parlor that tempts me with the smell of ooey gooey melted cheese. And just across from my apartment there’s another pizza restaurant with more specialty pizza options that Peter and I frequent on nights we are too lazy to cook.
However a 9-10 inch pizza there typically runs you about 140 HKD (~18USD)… And we usually each get our own pizza so it’s certainly not a cheap dinner in. To save ourselves a bit of cash and win ourselves some extra toppings, I decided to make pizza at home.
Skillet hoisin chicken pizza is a delicious creation of sweet hoisin sauce, melted cheese and crispy pizza crust that is made right on your stove. Especially with the summer coming (at least in Hong Kong it is! and I’m sure in Texas it will be soon) and electric bills rising, heating up the stove is much preferred over heating up the oven.
Any pizza dough recipe you like to use will work for our skillet hoisin chicken pizza. I will admit that I used a store bought mix because working with dough has never been my strong suit and I wanted a quick and reliable dough. And also because the last 2 times I’ve tried to make pizza dough I ended up with some sort of pizza-pancake type creation.
You can control just how crispy or soft you’d like your pizza crust and load on as many toppings as you’d like. Remember the hoisin sauce we used for our hoisin chicken wings? The sweetness of this Chinese BBQ sauce is balanced in our recipe by a bit of saltiness from soy sauce and fish sauce and by the spice of chili flakes.
I had all of the toppings for this pizza prepped before hand (chicken shredded, peppers chopped, cheese grated) so after work I could mix up the dough and cook up dinner in just a few minutes and at half the price of the restaurant version.
- 1 tsp oil
- 1/2 cup of hoisin sauce
- 1 tbs soy sauce
- 1/2 tsp fish sauce
- 1/2 tbsp chili flakes
- 1 ball of pizza dough
- 1 chicken breast, cooked and shredded
- 1 cup of shredded mozzarella or monterey jack cheese
- 1/2 bell pepper, cut into thin slices
- 1 red birds eye chili, chopped (to garnish)
- green onion, chopped (to garnish)
- cilantro, chopped (to garnish)
- Spread a thin layer of oil in a large pan and heat over medium-high heat
- In a medium bowl, mix hoisin sauce, soy sauce, fish sauce, and chili flakes
- Using a floured surface and floured hands, roll out pizza dough to match the size of your pan
- Gently place dough onto heated pan to make pizza crust
- Allow to cook until the pizza crust is lightly browned on the bottom (approx 2-3 min)
- Flip the crust
- In a small bowl, stir 1 tbsp of hoisin mixture with shredded chicken, until chicken is well coated
- Spread remaining hoisin sauce mixture evenly over the crust, allowing 1/2-1 inch around the edge of the crust
- Top with cheese, chicken, bell pepper, chilis, green onion and cilantro as desired
- Reduce heat to low-medium and place lid over pan
- Allow to cook gently until bottom of pizza crust is golden brown, cheese is melted, and toppings are warm (approx 2-3 min)
- Serve warm