Like any Texan, I love tacos. Love them. In just the palm of your hand you can have all your food groups covered – meat, dairy, grain, veg. Isn’t that a magical thing?
So of course it is no surprise that when Taco Tuesday comes around each week, I’m ready and itching for my taco fix and excited to experiment with a new recipe.
This week’s taco of choice was a delicious blend of Asian and Mexican flavors. The orange and lemon juices provide a hint of sweet and sour while the Szechuan peppercorn builds up a bit of tongue-numbing heat. The flavors in the sauce blend so well that you hardly need to measure out any of the ingredients (except for the Szechuan peppercorns of course — be careful with those babies!).
You could certainly marinate the chicken in the orange sauce, but I was short on time, hungry, and ready to eat (as I am most nights after work!), so I skipped the marinade and lightly seasoned the chicken as it was cooking. Once the chicken was cooked, I poured the sauce over the dish and made sure every piece of chicken was completely coated.
So even if you’re working around the cluck, you can prepare a juicy and delectable chicken dish without much preparation.
Once you have your chicken ready, pile it into a tortilla with fresh bell peppers, sour cream (I substituted plain Greek yogurt instead and Peter was none the wiser), cheese and a sprinkle of cilantro and you will have a winning meal any day of the week.
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- juice of 1 large lemon
- 2 tsp sugar
- 1 tsp crushed Szechuan peppercorn
- 3 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp cornstarch
- 2 tsp oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 5-10 dry red chilies (optional)
- 1 lb chicken breast, cut into thin strips
- large pinch of salt
- large pinch of cumin
- 6-8 small tortillas
- 1 large red bell pepper, cut into thing strips (optional)
- various toppings - cilantro, cheese, sour cream, salsa (optional)
- In a large bowl, mix orange juice, lemon juice, sugar, peppercorn, cumin, salt, and cornstarch until well combined into a sauce
- In a large pan heat oil over medium heat
- Add garlic until lightly golden
- Toss in chicken breast strips and small red chilies
- Sprinkle with additional pinches of salt and cumin
- When chicken is cooked, reduce heat to low and pour sauce over chicken
- Stir until chicken is coated and sauce has slightly thickened
- Turn off heat
- Layer chicken in tortillas along with toppings of your choice (recommend red bell pepper strips, cheese and sour cream)