In southeast Texas there are really only two seasons: summer and winter (and it can easily switch between the two during any given day in the winter months). But much to my surprise, Hong Kong actually has a fairly defined spring, summer, fall, and winter.
Fall has just wrapped up here in Hong Kong and although it’s technically winter, we’ve still been enjoying some of the loveliest weather. Finally the scorching summer heat is gone and the steam room-esque humidity has been replaced by a cool, consistent breeze. Yes friends, walking through the city has become enjoyable and no longer leaves you as a melty, sweaty mess.
To celebrate a beautiful day last month, Peter and I packed up a picnic and headed harbour side to soak up some weekend sun. We arrived at the park and it was clear we weren’t the only ones with that idea. But I certainly didn’t mind. More people means more people watching and the park was full of cute chubby Asian toddlers blowing bubbles in the wind and elderly locals practicing Tai Chi.
Peter and I set out our lunchtime goodies and let the people watching commence.
We had a colorful spread of soft, fresh bread, homemade roasted garlic and lemon hummus, and spiced yogurt chicken.
The night before I had chopped up the chicken and coated the pieces in a marinade of creamy Greek yogurt, lemon, and a few of my favorite spices (I am nothing without cumin). Half an hour before our picnic, I added some bell peppers and popped the dish into the oven until the chicken was cooked through.
While the chicken was nice and hot, I sprinkled some cilantro (coriander) on top and packed it all up for the picnic. It was still warm when I took my first bite laying in the grass at Sun Yat Sen Memorial Park.
This spiced yogurt chicken is a breeze to put together and is delicious served hot or cold. It’s perfect for an quick and healthy weeknight dinner or a lazy weekend meal.
- 1 cup full-fat Greek yogurt
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp cayenne
- 1 lemon
- 1 lb chicken breasts, cut into 1 inch chunks
- 2 red bell peppers, cut into 1/2 inch slices
- parsley, to garnish (optional)
- 1 tsp red chili flakes, to garnish (optional)
- In a large bowl, mix yogurt, spices and the juice of one lemon
- Add chicken and toss to coat each piece in the yogurt
- Cover and let marinate overnight (6-8 hours)
- Preheat oven to 375 F (190 C)
- Spread bell peppers evenly in the bottom of a medium size baking dish (~10.5" x 7.5")
- Lay marinated chicken pieces on top of bell peppers
- Place in the oven and bake for 25-30 minutes or until chicken is cooked through
- Once chicken is cooked, garnish with red chili flakes and parsley before serving